Congratulations to our own Gene Gulland for a great presentation!


Some
class members might be interested in a fun event this week at the
Library of Congress in Washington. The Library held a mock appeal by
Shylock, the moneylender in Shakespeare’s play, The Merchant of Venice,
in which Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg presided. Two other
lawyers and I actually argued the case based on the laws of 16th
Century Venice and we were vigorously questioned by Justice Ginsberg
and the other judges. Leading Shakespeare experts gave short
presentations about the play and a leading actor performed some of the
famous speeches by Shylock. The Library live-streamed and recorded the
event, which can be found at this link:
Justice for Shylock: A Mock Appeal Commemorating the 500th Anniversary of the Venice Ghetto
- Gene Gulland


2 comments:
It takes a truly sharp mind and nerves of steel to go toe-to-toe with Justice Ginsburg. You were cool as a cucumber in your delivery, Gene.
Forsooth, I believe our classmates will be calling upon you to assist us with our parking tickets, henceforth.
Sorry, David-- I only defend moving violations. -- Gene
Post a Comment